Thursday, 27 June 2013

Me and My Pregnancy Weight - How I lost those kilos


This is a little journal for me for future pregnancies (cheeky :D) and for anyone out there looking for some weight-loss tips. I am a mum of a beautiful 11 month old baby girl. She is turning one in a week (yayy to planning an all pink birthday party :D) and I am at a point right now where I am really pleased with how I look and how much weight I have lost since I had her. It feels pretty awesome when people call me a "santoor mommy"!

To give you a bit of perspective, I am 27 years old, 5'4" and have always weighed in the 52 - 56 kg range. My weight a few days before I went into labour was 85 kilos, yep I had gained a whopping 30 kilos in a matter of 7 months!!! (Click here to read about my experience with epidural pain relief)

Now to remind myself of how I piled on those kilos??? When I found out about my pregnancy I was extremely overjoyed. Since it was my first I was a bit over-cautious as well. I wanted to give my baby a great start right from when she was merely a cluster of cells! So I started eating larger portions partially because I was as hungry as a cow but mainly because I just assumed I was doing good for the baby. In addition to the portion sizes, I also started taking more milk (hot chocolate) and sweets in the form of fruits, flavoured yoghurts, dates etc. Anything that said high in calcium, folic acid, iron etc had to be in my fridge and eventually in my tummy! Towards the end though I realised I was not going in the right direction. Immediately after my labour the doctor checked my weight and I was at 81!!! That was a major shock for me because all along I was expecting to lose atleast 10 Kgs post-delivery (what was I thinking???!!!). Without rambling on more and before I get too emotional, the following are tips that I picked up along the way and things that I would do differently for my next baby.


Things that can help while you are pregnant
1) DO NOT  INCREASE PORTION SIZES OF RICE. This goes to all my south Indian friends out there. Rice is a major part of our diet and it is a real weight gainer too. If you are hungry all the time which I was, eat something that is filling but is not going to make you fat, like fruits. I always had a pear at my table in addition to the big box of lemon rice!

2) DO NOT DRINK HOT CHOCOLATE. My doctor asked me to include more calcium sources into my diet like milk. I went off thinking HOT CHOCOLATE = MILK! Bad idea! In addition to the chocolate I am someone who adds atleast 3 packs of sugar into it. Just say NO to all forms of artificial sugar.

3) STAY AWAY FROM GHEE. My south Indian mum and MIL have this idea that ghee in my food will go directly to my baby and make her chubby. Instead all of it went straight to my bum and made me fat!

4) DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF AN EVENING WALK. Make an evening walk a daily part of your routine. Make use of this time to bond with your little one, talk out loud to him/her and to sweat and pant a little. It will not only help keep you fit and healthy but will also prepare your body for a natural birth.

Things that can help post-delivery
5) LISTEN TO YOURSELF AND YOUR BODY. Post-delivery you know when you are ready to start exercising. Do not go by when others think you are ready/not ready. Go by how you feel. I was at the gym 2 months after my baby was born since I felt that was enough time for my body to recover and I was ready to start kicking some kilos!

6) DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO KEEP YOU MOTIVATED. When I enrolled at the gym, this lady told me “oh to lose weight sooner you have to run and cycle”. I absolutely hate running, I find it extremely boring. On the other hand I love dancing and so to keep myself motivated I joined aerobics. My trainer should be given credit as well for her enthusiasm and support. She totally made me look forward to every class. I was also very glad to get that hour to myself since the rest of the 23 hours were spent for the baby with the baby.

7) NO NEED TO EAT A LOT TO BE ABLE TO BREASTFEED. You do not need to eat a lot to keep up your milk supply if you are a breastfeeding mum. Again eating healthy is a must to improve the quality of your milk, but just because you eat two idlis instead of four your milk supply is not going to dwindle down. People have a number of opinions when it comes to breastfeeding and for a first time mum it is scary to think you might not be able to feed your baby enough. From my experience though I think all that was bull****. If my baby needed more milk, my body produced more milk, that is how amazing nature is :)

If you are someone who thinks your baby is not getting enough take "Sowbhagya sundi" twice daily. You can get it from any ayurveda medicine shop. This stuff is seriously amazing at boosting your milk supply and is also known to aid uterine contraction to help tighten those tummy muscles. And breastfeeding certainly helps to burn a few more calories and lose a few inches.

8) DO NOT GO ON A CRASH DIET. Instead make small changes to your diet. For example I went from three cups of milk a day to one and I took it sugar free. Such things give you a sense of accomplishment without depriving your body of the much needed nutrients to recover from the trauma it has just gone through.

9) DO NOT SKIP YOUR CALCIUM & VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS. Take the supplements prescribed by your doc regularly. They help give that extra boost needed by your body to recover and calcium apparently aids weight loss. It also  helps keep up the quality of your breastmilk.
10) SET YOURSELF MODEST GOALS. My goal was to lose 1 kilo in a month. When I lost that in 2 weeks time, my motivation to keep up everything that I was already doing and do a little more was sky  high.

11) PATIENCE IS KEY. You are not going to go back to being your old self within a week or a month. You will still look pregnant even 3 months after delivery. It will take time and don’t beat yourself up about how you have lost your looks or how you don’t feel like yourself etc. Someday you will be back to “normal” and feel like your old glamorous self again! 

12) DO NOT LET OTHERS MAKE YOU FEEL CRAP ABOUT YOURSELF. Don’t be negatively affected by people’s comments. I have heard a lot of “omg I could nt even recognise you”, “omg you look like an aunty” blah blah. It never stops. Instead take it as a challenge and make the same people call you a “yummy mummy”! Trust me, IT FEELS GOOOOD :D

13) FEEL PROUD AND SMILE. Your body has housed another living being for 10 months and given it to the world. It is an amazing feeling. Do not let anyone take that away from you. Feel happy, feel proud and look after your body. I cannot stress enough on how important it is to give your body the time and nutrition it needs to recover.

In addition to all of this I also wore the tummy tucking belt for the first three months after delivery, I even wore it to bed. It is not the most comfortable thing to do, but I stuck to it and I think it really helped shape my loose hanging tummy and help make it go back to it's original shape. I weigh 55 Kgs now and my tummy has gone back to being almost flat. Seriously if I can, anyone can!!! Last but not the least, smile a lot and stay positive and happy. You will get there eventually! :)

You can read about my epidural(delivery pain relief) experience here. Leave a comment if you are reading this and agree (or disagree) with the points I have mentioned above. And please share your story if you have one, I would love to hear it. 

This image was taken from Google images and I do not claim ownership of it.

35 comments:

  1. Hi

    I stumbled on to your blog from BC and just love this post. Looks like I've done most of the things you have mentioned here and feel proud to say I've lost one kg more than my pre-preg weight. Still your post makes me wanna enroll in some kind of exercise routine. Kudos to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vaishnavi
      Congratulations! :) Glad you are motivated to exercise, there is no better stress buster than a real workout.

      Delete
  2. Hi. Got to know of your blog fromBC. Found your blog to be very helpful. I am in the same shoes as you were at the time of your delivery. Mother to a 2 month of old 5'4 pre preg weight was 54kg, currently 70kgs. Would like to know more about your diet post pregnancy. What did you eat, avoid etc. Were you off fast food, , sweets completely? Pls advise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priyadarshini,
      you are just 70 Kgs right now, so you are not too far from going back to your old weight :) To be honest I did not really go on a strict diet, I ate everything my mom made me eat from mutton soups to chicken breast! But I definitely tweaked it a bit like taking lesser milk than before and taking it sugar free, starting the day with barley water which is meant to relive puffiness from your body parts like swollen feet, taking two spoons of "Sowbhagya sundi" which is an ayurvedic supplement to help milk supply and to help your uterus contract to its former size. I did not say NO to anything including sweets, but I made sure I did not over-do it. Good luck with everything, just be patient and dont get stressed over your weight.

      Delete
  3. Hi Supria,
    A wonderful blog, just tumbled upon here via BC and felt wonderful reading it. I am a mother of 2 little brats and the younger one is just 2 months old. I resumed my Yoga today and am more motivated after reading this :) . And i want to surely take ur advice on the tummy belt, which I ignored it a month ago as i felt very uncomfortable. Thanks for ur advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sruthi,

      Glad my story helped motivate you :) Yes the tummy belt is the last thing you want when you are feeling battered and bruised as it is! But I really think it helped.

      I am a new blogger and these comments are asking me to write more pregnancy related stuff than makeup ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi supriya I really motivated by reading ur blog. My baby is just one week old. It's really awesome advice.lm looking fwd to do thank. You

      Delete
  4. Wow...truely inspirational!
    M 2months postpartum and lookin for ways to lose d extra 10kgs.

    Could you elaborate on the tummy belt u got, as in which brand etc cos the one I got was ok on my belly but created my skin above roll over n hanging...realy ugly to watch

    And yes do you personally think that post delivery massages help? N lastly, sowbhagya sundhi was the only ayurvedic preparation you had cos my mom has got a list of ayurvedic medz frm d local kerala ayurvedic store.

    Looking forward for a reply from you:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rini,
      Glad this post inspired you :)
      I bought my tummy belt from a local pharmacy, I think it cost around Rs700 and it was pretty comfortable, it was very wide and actually helped my back a lot too. I bought one more from Naidu Hall(not sure you know!) for Rs 550 and it was terrible, I wore it for 5 mins after buying and never reached for it again. It was narrower than the pharmacy one and would hurt my skin too much. Wear the belt, I have had saggy tyres too that looked very ugly... It takes a while to look bearable, so hang in there :)

      I have not had any sort of massage, so I cant really tell if they help... but if it helps you relax then why not?! ;)

      Yes sowbhagya sundi was the only one I took and it came highly recommended from my uncle who deals with ayurvedic preparations, so thats the reason I took it... I took it for almost 8 months regularly.

      Let me know how it all goes for you :)

      Delete
  5. Hey thanx for replying:-)
    Well I will def give a shot to the belt again! N bdw yes, you should write more on post delivery issues....

    As I mentioned, its been a little over 2months since I delivered, but still I cant wear my enggagement and wedding ring:-(
    My fingers n face n neck are puffy...and I have no clue what to do...I drink 3-4litres of water in a day n watch my salt intake too...
    Could you suggest any remedy to get rid of the aweful puffiness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rini, I was taking barley water regularly to help with the puffiness. Why don't you give that a try? Add barley in water and bring it to a boil for about 5 minutes. Strain the water and have it first thing in the morning and during the day as well have that instead of water. It smells awful and tastes awful too, but I think it helped a lot in bring down puffiness in my face. It makes you pee a lot too, which I think helps the body get rid of the extra water stored in our legs etc

      Also, try not to stand for too long or sit with your legs hanging down for too long, even when you are b'feeding your baby try and keep your legs stretched out. This will make sure you don't get puffier.

      Delete
  6. Hey Supria,
    really inspirational. I had to join back work within 3 months of delivery, and have been busy since then managing home and office. I am unable to find time to exercise or yoga. I did bought the Tucker belt but didn't wore is much as I was scared of hurting the c section area...My daughter turned 2 this month and I am really ashamed of my shape. I want to fit in to my fav clothes and I do not wish to spend more on over sized clothes.
    Will that Tummy Tucker Belt be still good?, shall I start cycling home, I have started the kellogs K 7 days challange..will that help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Puja,
      I think the kellogs K does help... When my daughter was about 6 months old I did the kellogs challenge not intentionally, but I have cereal for bfast everyday so I just replaced my usual one with the kelloggs berry version... And i avoided mid-morning, mid-afternoon snack, which really helped.

      With this I urge you to cut sugar from all your hot drinks... It is difficult to begin with but trust me in a week's time you will not have that urge for sugar anymore...

      I am not sure if the tummy belt will help you now, because I think it works faster when your insides are still tender... cycling will surely help.

      But to actually lose weight, nothing works better than small cuts from your diet... reducing portion sizes, no sugar diet, no mid-afternoon snack or coffee.

      Delete
    2. And sorry it took me this long to get back to you... I noticed this comment only today, not sure how I missed it. Apologies. Let me know how you are getting on with your diet?

      Delete
  7. Hi Supria,

    ur post is really awesome. I am currently runnning 8 months after delivery. My stomach is still not reduced. Can I use tummy belt now? I want to reduce my stomach. It looks very bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ranjani, sure start using it now, better late than never. And 8 months is not too bad, it might take you upto a year to lose that tummy.

      Delete
  8. i hav a 4 n half yr old daughter..i gaind 16 kilos after pregnancy..i was 44 at dat tym..after delivery i was 53...till 6 months dere were no periods..i was shockd to c myself..weight was nt d issue...but swelling was nt going...my tummy lukd lik i was 4 months pregnant....so i strtd wearing after six months..but it worked...within a span of 6 months...i was bck to 46....my previous weight...i m still maintaining...but now i m dietician also...as i studied after my daughter n went into dis profession..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kashvi this is such a positive story :) btw your post pregnancy weight is my "normal" weight ;)

      Delete
    2. Good to hear from a dietician :) Any advice for pregnant women out there in terms of diet?

      Delete
  9. just came across your blog. felt so good after reading it...specially the last 3 points! I feel so motivated and energised now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ supriya dont starve urself...eat healthy...avoid fried n sugary foods....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Supria.. I m residing in US nd I came to India to visit my parents. I ll b here till June. Glad that i see ur blog. I m a mom of 8 months old pretty girl. I m not aware of tummy binder. I was 54 kg before pregnancy and I gained 15 kg in pregnancy. After my delivery I have reduced only 4 kg and I m 65 kg now. I m not breastfeeding now. My tummy didn't reduce as well. Is it possible reduce my tummy ? If so, suggest me what brand of tummy binder should I get? Where can I get sowbhagya sundhi ? Shall I take it now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deepika, I am so sorry I did not reply to you earlier. If you are still in India then you will get Sowbhagya sundi in any Ayurvedic medical shops. i can only talk for shops in Tamilnadu, I am not sure where in India you are from. And as for the tummy belt, I think the sooner the better but give it a proper try, you are not going to lose anything right. There is no particular brand, just ask for it in any medical shop.

      Delete
  12. Hi Supria. Your blog is really good. I was 50 kgs pre pregnancy. Gained 11 kgs, was 61 kgs before delivery. Immediately post delivery lost 5 kgs. My daughter is almost 6 weeks now and am about 54 kgs. 4 more kgs to loose before i join office. I mostly eat porridge and soups. I also have those heavy laddoos daily. I regularly wear my tummy belt. I need to loose 4 more inches from my waist and i ll be back to my old self. Need to tone my waist though. Do you think crunches will help? And yeah it feels great when people call me a Yummy Mummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadia, just 6 weeks in and you only have 4 Kgs to lose?! Way to go girl! To be honest with you i am not a big fan of hardcore exercise like circuits, crunches or even running for that matter, so I am not sure if it will work. I mostly stick to aerobics and Zumba, they keep me wanting to go back to the gym rather than run in the opposite direction :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Supria, gone thru ur blog... I am 30 years old. A working mother of a 11month old baby. I am 5ft 4in and 75 kg...My BMI says I am OVERWEIGHT!!! I need to lose weight....Usually I feel very tired all the time..I don't exercise...I don't eat my meals properly...there are long long gap between all meals...I don't feel like motivated to any thing.....before pregnancy I was 72kgs...after 9month of post pregnancy I was 78kgs..and now I am 75Kg

    I am a Bengali...I don't like fish...all I like is chicken..I usually eat maximum 3meals a day...at 9:30 to 10 am breakfast (paratha with sause/yogurt and muri/alu-paratha)...2:30pm lunch(rice,dal,chicken)...10pm dinner(rice,fish/chicken)... sometimes between lunch and dinner I take a chicken sandwich/dosa..

    Can you please guide me to make my meal planner...I need it badly...I have searched in internet but all I found that some of the ingredients are not easily accessible in local market...

    You can understand I have tried so many things but 0 result...so please help me..I really want to change my life style...but don't know where to start...

    Eagerly waiting for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweety, first of all don't be so pressurised. keep the stress at bay, it will do you no good. I know easy said than done, but do try :)

      If you are feeling tired all the time why don't you see your gynaec, she might prescribe something that will help you.

      Also, if I were in your shoes I would replace the morning paranthas with something light, how about Kellogs special k, I used to take them when I was trying to lose weight post-pregnancy. Also try cutting down on the rice intake especially at night.

      My advice is certainly not of the professional kind as I am not a nutritionist. Try getting in touch with one, I am sure your gynaec can help you find a good nutritionist who will give you a customised diet chart.

      Since you have left an anonymous comment my reply is not going to reach your inbox. When you see this, do let me know what you plan on doing.

      Delete
    2. Hi supriya...wats sowbhaya sundi.....I m a nutritionist by profession....I dont recommend special kellogs k to a person...try naturally weight loss...why on preservatives...d qty size matters...Instead ur frnd can take 1 stuff onion/mooli/methi/spinach parantha widout frying with 1 glass thin toned lassi....d calorie content fr both kellogs n parantha r same...so why nt to chose sumthing healthy

      Delete
  14. Hi hav. 4 months baby boy and I gained 10 kgs during pregnancy to till date. The weight accumulated at tummy,buts and tighs .....I feel so. I drink milk 3 times in a day and South Indian break fast(upma,dosa,idli) and rice &curry for lunch& dinner. Can u suggest so e tips to reduce the weight with out affecting the milk supply to my baby. I am having galact granules for milk supply and is it better than sowbhagya sundi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dosa u can take without potato..with min oil....idli 2-3....upma 1 bowl with veggies....avoid rice...if no take boiled...1 roti equals 1 k cooked rice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear all,

      I am a working lady and having 10 months old baby. I had caesarean baby. I still look like 5-6 months pregnant. My body shape is ok but my tummy is still big like pregnant women. I have not used any tummy belt as my doctor told me not to use any. Please advice if running is the best exercise to reduce my belly fat.

      Also advice if breads are bad evening snacks. What can I eat in the evening as I am a breastfeeding mom and I feel hungry in the evening very much. I do not eat any fatty food but still my belly is not reducing. Please suggest what shall I do as I feel disappointed while looking at mirror.

      Delete
  16. Hi supriya
    Truly very inspiring story. & very useful tips u hav given..

    R u still going to gym? Because many say we wil become too fat if v stop going to gym or aerobic classes. So am not starting gym. is it trur? Is there any way to reduse my weight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At present I stay wit my mom. now I get time to go for gym. Bt in future I may not get enough time for gym or aerobic classes as ill go back to my work. So can I start going it gym now. Do I become fat again if I stop gym after few days

    ReplyDelete